Brown Rice Vegan Nori Rolls
Plant-based version of sushi..such an opportunity to be creative!
- Ideally a sushi rolling mat but it works without it,too; a sharp knife; a dry clean towel, a bowl with water.
For the nori rolls
- 1 package nori sheets ( can be half-cut, too)
- 2 cups round brown rice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ cup asparagus tips
- ½ cup carrots lengthwise cut
- ½ cup mango slices nicely cut½
- ½ cup red pepper lengthwise cut
- 1 avocado cut in slices
- 2 pieces mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh arugula
For the dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce - gluten free , sugar free
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 20 ml apple cider vinegar
Let's make nori rolls!
- Boil the brown rice according to package instructions adding salt and pepper.In a bowl mix well the brown rice with the vinegar.
- Arrange sliced carrots,sliced mushrooms and asparagus in a baking tray.You can sprinkle some olive oil over.Bake for 10 minutes,be careful not to overcook.
- Prepare all the ingredients neatly on the working table. Prepare a cutting board, bowl with water, a dry clean towel and a sharp knife.
- Place the nori sheet on the cutting board. Patiently arrange rice all over with your fingers.You may need to damp your fingers very often.
- Place the ingredients in the middle horizontally: sliced carrots, red pepper, sliced mango, sliced avocado, sliced mushrooms, arugula leaves. Roll the nori sheet and damp the top edge with your fingers to make sure it's sticky.
Let's make the dipping sauce:
- In a small bowl mix the soy sauce, maple syrup and vinegar. That's it.
- It obvious that there is room to be creative with the filling ingredients.I even used slices of vegan cheese for some of the rolls.
- When you prepare the rice you may want to add some flavours of choice, I used a organic yeast-free stock cube for example.