Carrot Cake - sounds boring but it's not!
Medical Medium compliant recipe - plant-based, gluten-free, refined sugar free.
- oven, loaf tin x2, 1 large bowl, grater
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup melted refined coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups gluten-free oat flour
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup finely chopped walnuts,more to serve
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups grated carrots
- ⅓ cup raisins
Cashew icing :
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours in water
- 3 tbsp maple sugar
- ¼ cup coconut milk or any plant-based milk
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Line 2 non-stick loaf pans with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the ground flaxseeds with water.Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the almond milk,coconut oil,coconut sugar, and vanilla to the bowl, ad the oat flour, brown rice flour, chopped walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamon and ground cloves.Whisk until uniform.
- Add the dry ingredient to the wet,stirring until you get a uniform batter.
- Stir in the grated carrots and raisins until evenly dispersed.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tins.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until browned on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Let's make the cashew icing?
- Combine the soaked cashews, maple sugar, coconut milk, lemon juice inn a highs- speed blender and blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add a bit of water if necessary to blend. Refrigerate until needed.
- When the cakes have cooled, spread generously some icing over the first one.Place them one on top of the other and spread the remaining icing on top of the second cake.Garnish with plenty of chopped walnuts.
- Ideally, serve immediately but it's still delicious the next day,too.
- A baking trick I may suggest: If you want the cake to be even more crunchy, you can take the cakes out of the tins and bake them on the parchment paper in the oven for the last 5 - 7 minutes.