Custard Cake Plant-based Gluten-free
It's not Millefeuille and it's not Cremeschintte but it's delicious simplicity!
- oven, stove, sauce pan, whisk
- 500 ml oat milk or oat cream
- 1 tbsp high quality vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch turmeric - for a more yellowish color -optional
- ¼ cup ( or 3 -4 tsp) corn flour / tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package gluten free puff pastry
- 1/2 cup xylitol
Let's make the custard
- In a sauce pan bring to boil the oat milk or the oat cream. Using oat milk it will result in a more runny custard while using oat cream it will result in a thicker custard. I tried both and I enjoyed both. I would say the first version is a lighter.
- Add vanilla, xyilitol, lemon juice, salt, turmeric.
- In a a small bowl prepare a paste out of corn flour / tapioca flour and water.
- Add the paste to the boiling mixture. Keep stirring with a whisk until it thickens. About 5 minutes.
- Set aside and cover with cling film to avoid skin formation.
Let's prepare puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C ( 400°F).
- Just unroll thawed pastry on a baking trey. Keep it on its own parchment paper.
- Making some holes all over using a fork.
- Spread some xylitol all over to caramelize.
- Bake for 15 minutes according to package instructions but keep an eye on the oven.
- Let it cool and cut into 4 equal rectangles.
- Choose the one that looks not so nice and crush it in a bowl into small pieces.
Assembling the cake
- On a flat plate put a little custard as a glue and on top of it place the first puff pastry rectangle. Spread custard then repeat until the last layer which will consist of the crushed pastry.
- Use a little strain to sprinkle some powdered xylitol on top.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator over night.
- Once the puff pastry softened, after 12 hours or so, the cake can be now cut into 4 portions.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- The custard cream consistency depends on how much corn flour is used. I chose to make a combination of corn flour with tapioca flour. It worked well with corn flour only but I never tried with tapioca flour only.
- I used pictures with oat milk custard cake and also with the oat cream custard cake.