Eggplant rolls Plant-based Gluten-free
An exquisite appetizer or side dish.
- frying pan, oven, blender ( in case you want to make the marinara sauce from scratch)
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil fresh or dry
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
For the filling
- 1 cup vegan cheese ( I used grated vegan cheese)
- 3 large mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced olives
- 3 pickles
- ½ cup almond flakes
- Preheat oven at 200°C (400°F).
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil ,salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes turning eggplant slices over halfway through.
- Let cool on sheets on wire racks until cool enough to handle.
- Heat coconut oil or old of choice in a frying pan, add sliced onion. Fry for a few minutes and than add chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, paprika powder, turmeric powder, cinnamon.
- Let it cook with lid on for 10 minutes.Remove from heat and let it cool. Once cooled we will use a blender to make the sauce.
- Pour marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Take an eggplant slice, add cheese, a slice of pickle, slice of mushroom, sliced olives and almond flakes.Roll up and use a toothpick to hold it together.Place it in the baking dish carefully.Repeat with the rest of the eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle more of the marinara sauce over the rolls.
- Bake at 190°C (390°F) for about 30-40 minutes depending on the oven.
- Remove from oven.
- Enjoy hot or warm.
- You can use a store bought tomato sauce ,I preferred to make it from scratch.
- You can also play around with what you use for filling.