Green Lentils Loaf - Plant based Gluten Free
A healthy nutritious, comfort food ideal in cold season.
- 9 inch springform pan-2 pieces,1 large bowl or pot, food processor, oven
- 2 cups green lentils
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup red onions and green onions chopped
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup yellow/red peppers
- ¼ cup chopped chilli pepper
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 tbsp flaxseed
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp rye flour/oat flour/chickpea flour or any other gluten free flour of choice
- ⅔ cup dill/chives/parsley/cilantro
- 1 cube yeast free vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp caraway seeds to ornate
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds to ornate
- Cook the green lentils in twice amount of water for about 20 minutes then drain well.
- In a large enough pan sautè the onions,celery,carrots,peppers and chilli.
- Add the vegetable stock and miso paste and cook a little longer,no need to overcook.
- Set aside cook vegetables draining excess liquid to avoid the loaf become moist.
- Preheat oven at 180°C( 350°F)
- In a food processor add lentils and sautèd vegetables.You might need to do it in 2 batches.Keep aside ⅓ of the lentils and vegetables, they will add a chunky texture to the loaf.
- In a large bowl or pot mix processed lentil and vegetables with the non-processed ones.
- Add flaxseed, coconut flour, rye flour, salt, pepper, herbs and spices.Taste and adjust as desired.
- Line up 2 loaf pans with parchment paper, use a spoon and fill them equally with the final mixture.
- Ornate with caraway and black sesame seeds.
- Bake at 200°C(400°F)for 30 minutes than lower the temperature at 180°C(350°F) and bake 30 minutes more. It is advisable to keep an eye on the oven and check every 10-15 min.
- Remove from oven; remove from pan and let it cool for 30 minutes at least.
- Slice and enjoy warm or cold.
- It is important to drain the cooked lentils well and also the cooked vegetables.It helps avoiding the loaf to be moist. Mine was a little moist because I used the sautèd vegetables without draining the liquid first.
- Feel free to use any preferred combination of herbs and spices and also you may choose to ornate it differently.