“I want to meditate but I can’t. I can’t just stop thinking. I close my eyes and what do I do next? I can’t focus. I can’t not focus. What do I do with my thoughts? Can I just pretend I don’t have a mind?”
If these are your struggles know that it’s a natural process to struggle in the beginning.
Why meditating seems to be so difficult in the beginning?
Because you are exposing your system (you are a body-mind-spirit system) to an entirely new state of being, never experienced before. It is not sleeping, it is not dreaming, it is not being awake in a regular sense, it is not hallucinating, it is not like on psychedelics It’s something else.
Before anything else make sure you have a strong and genuine desire to meditate. It wouldn’t work otherwise. Everybody can meditate but not everybody is ready for it.
Considering you have a strong and genuine desire to meditate you will not have a problem finding time to do it. That is not to say that it won’t require effort to find the time and establish this as a new habit.
Tips that might help you when you want to meditate:
- Don’t make thoughts your enemy. Train yourself to dissociate from them. Train yourself to not consider them important. You will most likely continue to have thoughts. Change your attitude to them, your approach if you want to. Be gentle with them and be gentle with yourself. It’s pretty much like when you’re watching a movie you’re not interested in.
- Don’t expect perfect silence from your environment. Accept any outside noise as it comes and goes. You will probably find it easier to ignore the outer noise then to ignore the inner noise. Our external reality is a mere reflection of our inner reality, so be gentle with both of them. They are both you.
- Do it every day, regardless you consider yourself to be successful at it or not. Whatever happens in your meditation, it is not a wasted time. Repetition and routine is essential. Your nervous system needs time to adapt and recognize a new state of being. It will gradually embrace it. More than that, by virtue of exposure to this new frequency it will be refined and informed.
- Know this: there is more of you than you’re conscious of. Gently disengage your focus from your thoughts/mind/body/environment and trust that space-like feeling that will overwhelm you. Let it engulf you. It might feel overwhelming, let it be. It might resemble the moment when fall asleep. It’s not. Let this happen to you and trust. It will happen to you, you don’t have to chase it.
- You might want to prepare your body before meditation with some yoga or whatever physical exercise keeps you fit. But more important than that would be not to have a full stomach. It’s difficult for the body to relax when heavily digesting.
- Try not to have expectations, just try. Don’t use a point of reference. This is uncharted territory for you.
- Many things can happen in meditation. All sorts of experiences, visions, revelations, colors, images or none of these. You are the one who will have to decipher them. It’s not the same for everybody. Your intuition will be sharper as you go on into this exploration. Even your thoughts will be the right thoughts. The entire Creation is folded inside you.
- You are inviting Grace / Source / God to reveal itself, don’t expect the process to be incremental, it can take you by surprise or it can be a build-up. You’re going beyond time and space, different laws apply.
- You are treading a path to God /Source via your HigherSelf / Soul. You are training your neurons / cells, you are wiring your body to be able to absorb more and more Light.