Tiramisu Plant-based Gluten-free
A classic crowed pleaser in the healthiest version ever!
- 1 blender or a very good food processor
For the mascarpone cream:
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
For the base - dry ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free oat flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the base - wet ingredients:
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
To make mascarpone:
- Soak cashews in hot water overnight.
- Place coconut milk cans ( 1or 2) in the fridge 3-4 hours beforehand.
- Blend soaked cashews with the rest of the mascarpone ingredients until smooth.
- Refrigerate. Best to make the mascarpone the day before.
To make the base:
- Preheat oven to 180C / 375F.
- Make 2 cups of strong unsweetened coffee. Let it cool completely.
- In a medium bowl mix the wet ingredients.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth pourable dough.
- Line up your tray with parchment paper. Pour the dough in.
- Bake for 25 -30 minutes depending on the oven.
- Remove from oven. Let cool completely. Best to make the base a day before ,too.
- Cut the base into equal rectangular pieces. Handle with care since it can be quite crumbly.
- Soak each piece in coffee fairly quick since the sponge can absorb liquid quite fast.
- Once you have the first layer spread half of the mascarpone cream over.
- Repeat with the second base layer and the top mascarpone layer.
- Use a sieve to ornate generously with cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.
- It can be tricky to choose the right container to assemble the cake. You have to think beforehand what kind of tray you will use for baking the sponge. You must be able to cut into equal pieces mostly and also you must have 2 full layers of base for the chosen container.
- Make the cake and the mascarpone a day before or at least 6-7 hours before assembling the cake.